otter

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Ian Ryding
Woodpecker

otter

Post by Ian Ryding »

Found otter footprints and several spraints on the Yarrow and tributary today. Spraints were of variable age with one very recent. I couldn't get to footprints to photograph them but here is a photo of a spraint.

I hope this works, I am unfamiliar with photos on the forum. This my second attempt at posting.
Chris
Buzzard

Re: otter

Post by Chris »

Picture posted OK!!

Welcome!
David Beattie
Peregrine

Post by David Beattie »

How sure are you it is otter rather than mink? If you could get some photos of footprints please let me know. I am now the mammal recorder for Chorley as well as Chair of Lancashire Mammal group.

Have you tried posting photos to our Flickr page? The link is on the front page of the web next to the Forum link.
Ian Ryding
Woodpecker

Post by Ian Ryding »

David,

I did my training with Andrew Crawford a nationally recognised otter expert and author on the species. We trained over several days on the River Severn and tributaries on the Welsh borders where I was working and training with the Wildlife Trusts and RSPB Wales.

Since that time I have undertaken many otter surveys on a professional basis as part of strategic river corridor surveys (>500km) in the Thames region, as well as surveys in relation to development including major civil engineering schemes on the Rivers Dee, Lune and Nidd.

Basically the smell, appearance, size, consistency, colour and location are correct.

I could have got good pictures of the footprints on the Yarrow had I got waders on, but the prints were on the other side of the river too deep to wade.

I am on the look out now so will post footprints if I find any.

Thanks for the tip on flickr.

Regards

Ian

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”