Yarrow Meadows

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

ianball
Peregrine

Yarrow Meadows

Post by ianball »

Shortish walk just on the meadows this evening - generally avoiding the non-socially distancing folk!!! Brief influx of Swift's and Martin's also brought a Common Tern through - flying SE. Grey Wagtail, Blackcap and GSW only noticeable sounds. Common Carpet and Common Wave moths were flying in the long grasses.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Yarrow Meadows

Post by Neil Southworth »

Watch out for Chimney Sweeper moths in June / July on the meadows, Ian. There have been good numbers in the past.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Thanks for the heads up Neil.
Eddie Langrish
Goldeneye

Post by Eddie Langrish »

They usually fly around the 7th June, very short flight period, they may be earlier this year, due to the good weather. Though the bramble is taking over there habitat, they need Pignut for the larva foodplant.
Eddie Langrish
Goldeneye

Post by Eddie Langrish »

I hhttps://ukmoths.org.uk/species/odezia-atrata/ I Have ave just check mapmate and I counted 350 on June 5th 2010. The numbers will not be so good now, as the brambles have crowded out the pignut.
peter west
Sparrowhawk

Post by peter west »

Hi All. Where do you class as Yarrow Meadows please
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

They are the meadows by the River Yarrow from Common Bank in the north to Dob Brow in the south.
The meadow that I walk the most is the one opposite the roundabout to Gillibrands North. The small pond by the picnic benches here is proving very good for Dragonflies at the moment after all the clearance work done. The meadows by Yarrow Farm (middle left in the image) have been very good for warblers and migrants this spring.
Careful of Giant Hogweed though as this seems to be more numerous than last year unfortunately.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200522-114044__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200522-114044__01.jpg (229.33 KiB) Viewed 980 times
peter west
Sparrowhawk

Post by peter west »

Hi Ian Cheers thought it was there, just needed to check, i only live mile away i never venture down there, I'll defiantly give it a look didnt know there was a pond Thanks Pete

Return to “Recent Sightings”