Meadow Lane Croston

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Meadow Lane Croston

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Had a look on the flooded field twice this evening on my way to view the Kentish Plover at Southport and on the way back.

Birds seen - lots of Gulls, mainly Black Headed and Herring, 50+ Lapwing, 30+ Starling, several Canada Geese, with more in the grassed fields behind.

On the second viewing around 6 pm I spotted a small wader in the corner of the flood nearest Southport. Very small with Black Beak, dark legs and light buff upper chest and darker buff with a scattering of dark 'spots' on wings (in full sun but looking much greyer in shade), white or near white underside, no white 'hook' in front of shoulder, dark stripe from beak to eye. After considering Pectoral, White Rumped or Bairds Sandpipers or a juvenile Dunlin of the schinzii race I have yet to make my mind up!
LPA_9531.jpg
LPA_9531.jpg (231.89 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
LPA_9533.jpg
LPA_9533.jpg (251.33 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
LPA_9549.jpg
LPA_9549.jpg (206.97 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
LPA_9551.jpg
LPA_9551.jpg (173.33 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
If anybody has ideas on the ID please let me know.
ianball
Peregrine

Re: Meadow Lane Croston

Post by ianball »

Hi Len
Good quality confusing wader there :-) My thoughts from the photos would suggest not any of the yanks - wing projection doesn't appear long enough for Baird's or White-rumped, and shape and bill looks wrong for Pectoral. My suggestion would be an 'arctica' Dunlin which is smaller and shorter billed than the nominate race. Hope it remains and others get a look.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Thanks Ian, I was leaning towards Dunlin myself but the overall 'jizz' did not seem right, hopefully it will still be there tomorrow in better light.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

http://webirdnorthwales.blogspot.com/20 ... s.html?m=1

An interesting article that links to a wader that went through most of the birds you thought of :-)
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Thanks again Ian, food for thought in that blog.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

I was there about 5.30pm last night. Didn't see your dunlin Len, the only waders (apart from lapwing) were 2 green sandpipers on the far side near the fence.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

No sign of any waders other than Lapwing this evening (5:50 to 6:30) however there were several hundred Pink Footed Geese in the fields beyond the flooded area.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

Only waders were lapwing again tonight, but 150+ pink foots had moved nearer next to the floods. Buzzard flying low briefly flushed some lapwing and gulls.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

70+ Lapwing 100+ Starling, 200 ish Gulls, 30+ Linnet & 2 Redshank, 80+ Canada Geese
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

200+ Black Headed Gulls, no large Gulls, flock of around 80 Lapwings were in the air when I arrived and flew off, around 40 had returned when I left. A flock of 30+ Canada Geese flew over headed towards Eyes Lane. The only other bird was a single Common Redshank.

Return to “Recent Sightings”