Marsh Harrier !!

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Marsh Harrier !!

Post by gary lilley »

Seen twice this morning , first on croston moss ( 10.00 am ) then a hour later on eyes lane were it was hunting around the rough field and over a decent sized pool were it flushed 15 snipe and a greenshank , 3 snipe and a curlew on the finney .
Marsh Harrier brings the list up to 136 species .
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Marsh Harrier !!

Post by Neil Southworth »

Was it a male or a fem/juve Gary?
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

Juvenile Neil , forgot to mention 5 goosander on the river also .
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Harrier still present on Croston Moss at 445pm. Initially between the twin hedge and railway before heading over the railway towards Alma Wood.

Great find Gary !

Also 1 Peregrine and 2 Buzzards. A GBB Gull amongst the gulls in Great Close pools.

Takes me to 136 species for the year.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Needless to say there was no sign on Bretherton Eyes this afternoon! However, a Greenshank and 5 Snipe were flushed by a group of walkers crossing the rough field as they crossed the bridge and walked alongside the ditch. So every cloud has a silver lining! Also seen were Goosander 3, Pheasant min 30, Buzzard 2, Kestrel 2 (including the bird with jesses), Woodpigeon 50+, Stock Dove 2, Swallow, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Linnet.
Also, as I was driving back along Eyes Lane by the tall hedge, I flushed a grey raptor. It could have been a Hobby, it could have been a Merlin but was probably a male Sparrowhawk. Needless to say it was through the hedge before I had chance to have a good look at it.
Insects:- Large White, Small Tortoiseshell

Greenshank takes me to 124
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

The Marsh Harrier still present Wednesday evening and showing well. Initially spotted 615pm over the wet field near Great Hanging Bridge giving good views before it drifted off towards Eyes Lane.

So I called in there and got some fabulous views 635 to 650pm at least hunting over the main flood field and the next pylon field.

No waders on Croston Moss apart from a single Snipe. The Harrier put up 6-8 Snipe from the main flood area at Eyes Lane.

2 Buzzards and 2 Kestrels at each site - at Eyes Lane, they all mobbed the Harrier !
Neil Southworth
Avocet

No sign of the Marsh Harrier when I got there although Gary had just seen it disappearing towards Mawdesley. In fact there was very little to be seen. However, when I was scanning across towards the turbines, a flock of a dozen small waders, presumably Snipe were flying around, plus another larger wader which dropped into a ditch. However, it was getting too late to go and investigate.
It was on the way back just as the sun set that the journey became worth while. First of all I heard a wader calling which I recognized as Wood Sandpiper - having checked it on Xeno-Canto after Gary's sighting - which then dropped onto the Great Close flood. Then as I continued on towards the depot a Barn Owl flew along the ditch, and was hassled by a Kestrel. So two last minute ticks!
Barn Owl and Wood Sand take me to 126.

Return to “Recent Sightings”