Croston/mawdesley moss .

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by gary lilley »

Wild and a breezy with a couple of heavy showers , 8 snipe were seen in flight on my arrival heading over the douglas 2 single birds also seen , fem goosander in flight , large starling flock held one very pale individual seen several times in flight and on the ground but could never get close enough to see if it was its rare cousin the rosy starling , 1 green sandpiper was on the great close pools , several kestrel sightings , over the railway the juv cuckoo was seen again flying low over the stubble field before flying into the railway line cover , 2 golden plover still present near to alma wood on the large flood water area , possible whinchat in this area but only seen from behind ( short tailed bird flying away from me ) .
gary lilley
Avocet

Re: Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by gary lilley »

Forgot to mention 3 swift and several swallow .
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

3 Greenshank tonight, 2 on Great Close and one on the flooded field to the east of Alma Wood where it was joined by 2 Golden Plover and around 10 Pied/White Wagtails. Around 25 hirundines were in the same field. Also seen were 2 Kestrel, 1 Common Buzzard and 1 Lapwing.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Evening visit bumping into Len and seeing the lesser spotted Neville skulking in the distant undergrowth.

Pretty sure I saw 3 Greenshank in flight over the Alma Wood pool. I had earlier seen 2 on Great Close floods and Len had seen 1 nearer Alma Wood. Hopefully Neville can confirm that there were 3.

2 Golden Plover still near Alma Wood.

Raptors were 3 Kestrel 2 Sparrowhawk and 2 Buzzrads.

Otherwise fairly quiet.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

6.00-8.45pm - there were 4 greenshank in the end, those 3 seen in flight had left 1 behind on the pool nr Alma Wood. All 4 then convened on the pool the other side of the hedge (where the 2 plovers have been residing). Other sittings as per Len/John with a juvenile grey wagtail among the pieds, flock of15 snipe, single swift, 2 green sandpipers alarm calling from the Great Close pool adjacent to High Lane before flying off towards the Douglas and then finally c. 200 mixed gulls heading towards the coast as dusk approached.

Greenshank takes Chorley species total for the year to 131
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

First attempt at digi-scoping with new smartphone. Record shot only, so no sniggering.
Attachments
Greenshank_Croston_Moss_email.jpg
Greenshank_Croston_Moss_email.jpg (70.54 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Cuckoo still present this morning near railway together with single Greenshank and 2 Golden Plover in field east of Alma Wood.

Another new wader was a single Curlew between the double hedge and the railway.

3-4 kestrel and 1 Buzzard plus c75 gulls mainly LBB and a few Herring. 15 Lapwing.

1 Whitethroat, 2 Tree Sparrow and 1 Yellowhammer.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Sightings much as John's, but unfortunately there was no sign of Greenshank by the time I got there. A mini-compensation was a party of 5 White Wagtails, which I missed on Spring passage. Two Snipe dropped into the cuckoo field while I was scanning.
Butterflies:- GV / Small White 10-20, Painted Lady, Red Admiral 2-5

White Wagtail takes me to 123
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Afternoon walk across the moss from 14:30 to 17:30.

Birds seen/heard included 1 Common Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 50+ Gulls mostly LBB, 20 Linnet & Chaffinch in mixed flock, 10+ Goldfinch, Willow Warbler heard, Chiffchaff heard, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 2 Golden Plover, small flock of Wagtails which included at least 2 White Wagtail. Several Swallow in small flocks with the occasional House Martin plus a flock of 15 Swallow at one point.

Lepidoptera - 4 Large White, 15-20 Painted Lady, 1 Red Admiral.

Odonata - 1 Brown Hawker, 12+ Common Darter.

Mammals - 1 Brown Hare.

No sign of the mythical Cuckoo again!

Return to “Recent Sightings”