Bright Young Things

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Bright Young Things

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Lots of juveniles in and around the garden. Counted 7 Great Tits feeding, probably a family group, mostly youngsters. House Sparrows (approx. 12) seem to be having a good year. Yesterday evening an adult Great Spotted Woodpecker was feeding sunflower seeds to a juvenile on the bird table - unusual as the GS's normally feed on the peanuts and hanging suet blocks. The same pair back this morning the juv more confident and attacking the suet block without its mother, she was busy on the peanuts...
Juv Dunnock spotted with a bald forehead and a Juv female Blackbird with similar bald forehead.
paul b
Raven

Re: Bright Young Things

Post by paul b »

Interesting points, Jed ;in our garden -anything, everything -is ignored if sunflower hearts and fat balls are available. Peanuts, seeds -no way-not worth putting out.
Expensive tastes now these birds! (and even the occasional rat plus the more regular squirrels).
Anthony Karl
Goldfinch

Post by Anthony Karl »

Same in my garden the millet, peanuts and seed mix just go mouldy, they love the hearts!
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Post by Jed Kirkham »

The peanuts and suet blocks are being eaten too, by House Sparrows, Blue and Great Tits, and the GS Woodpeckers. We also have a pair of Collared Doves eating the sunflower hearts. I've adjusted the bird table to stop Woodpigeons as these eat and eat and eat, no other birds get a look in. CDs can still squeeze in, as can Jackdaws if I put suet pellets on the table. Chaffinch pair and Bullfinch pair currently feeding on sunflower hearts.

Confirmed breeders: GS as mother, father and child in the garden together, it's a real family party. Jackdaws in neighbour's chimney; Blue and Great Tits; House Sparrows in the eaves of the house.

8 House Martins over the house yesterday afternoon, feeding in the rain.

Return to “Recent Sightings”