Next Event
A film show by Gordon Yates on 'Birdlife through 40 Pennine Years' at St Mary's Parish Centre at 7.30 pm on Thursday 17th October.

Withnell Fold

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Neil Southworth
Little Egret

Withnell Fold

Post by Neil Southworth » Sun May 19, 2019 6:50 pm

Needless to say the flashes were dry, so the only bird activity was of four or so Lapwing on a tilled field and about 15 Canada Geese in the meadows. Small birds included 3 or 4 Reed Buntings and a Sedge Warbler in the marshy areas, and a couple of Skylark singing over the fields. Along the canal, the flock of hybrid geese numbered 13 plus 6 goslings. Two Buzzard were seen over separate territories. Three Swallow and three House Martins were seen around the mill area.
On the reserve, the highlight was a Tawny Owl flying through. Other sightings included Kingfisher, Jay, Blackcap 3, Chiffchaff 3, Willow Warbler, Whitethroat and Spotted Flycatcher.
Flora included what I took to be a patch of Touch-me-not Balsam in the north part of the reserve, but the book gives the flowering period as July-Sept. Any ideas anybody? Other flora included Jack-by-the-hedge, Greater Stitchwort, purple vetch sp., Red Campion, Bluebell, Forget-me-not, Pignut, Dandelion, Daisy, Buttercup

Return to “Recent Sightings”