Belmont, Ward's reservoir Toad Patrol 2019

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

paul b
Raven

Belmont, Ward's reservoir Toad Patrol 2019

Post by paul b »

As the evenings get lighter and the temperatures rise, we will shortly be expecting the common toads' migration to start.
The patrol is designed to ferry toads from one side of Rivington Rd to the other, from marshy ground where they've been hibernating to the relative safety of the reservoir, for them to spawn.
Last year we had about 6 or 7 volunteers from Chorley and District Natural History Society and we did an excellent job (even if I say so myself :) )

We started in early April last year and went on for about three weeks -evenings with wet conditions are best.We started just before dusk and finished when the traffic died down about 9.

If you'd like to help, that's great news -we need plenty of volunteers so we can plan a rota if possible.I've already had two new offers of help via Froglife which is very positive.

Please either reply to this message or send me a PM if you would like to join us.
If you are new to toad patrolling PLEASE read the advice and guidance on the Froglife link.
https://www.froglife.org/what-we-do/toads-on-roads/
I've also included a link to a very passionate call for more action to save our amphibians from man-made carnage every spring -it sums up why we are doing this:
https://markavery.info/2019/02/26/guest ... ul-sterry/

Many thanks
Paul Brennan
tony
Raven

Re: Belmont, Ward's reservoir Toad Patrol 2019

Post by tony »

Hi Paul
You can count on Tracey and myself again this year.
It would be nice if we had a few more volunteers this year though as it was difficult last year turning out almost every night.
(and yes, we did a fantastic job, saving over a hundred toads and helping to ensure the population bred successfully for another year at this site).
:D :D
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

have you had a look this year yet Paul, as there has been some toad activity at other sites, noticeably near Leighton Moss.
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

Thanks Tony and Tracey -look forward to seeing you again

In fact our inaugural Toad Patrol -although there were a fair few casualties, still “saved” 219 common toads, 12 common frogs and 3 smooth newts. It was often pretty hard work in drizzle and fog but all who took part were very pleased to have done so; we were compensated by being busy and moving good numbers of toads and also in listening to tawny owls, snipe and grasshopper warblers in the nearby wood and scrub.

As last year we are indebted to CDNHS member, Steve Martin, who is regularly checking the road near Ward's for toad movements-none so far
nora west
Little Egret

Post by nora west »

I would do it if i can get a lift.
Paul Hodson
Peregrine

Post by Paul Hodson »

I'll be there again Paul, I really enjoyed it last year, although as Tony says it was hard work sometimes with such a small team. Hopefully there'll be a few more volunteers this year. It's very satisfying work and much more fun than it sounds.
If anyone is thinking of joining in you'll need a torch and some form of hi vis clothing.
Dan Brown
Blue Tit

Post by Dan Brown »

I'm happy to get involved again.
Carol
Goldeneye

Post by Carol »

Put me on the text list too. :D
Carol
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

New torch duly bought, so count me in Paul for some more toad taxiing.
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

Thanks everyone-it's appreciated -any more helpers?

Toads still having a snooze as yet but surely not far off
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

Steve Martin reports that the migration has started!

All those who have offered to help -I'm going this afternoon to put up road signs and then this evening from about 7 to see what happens.
You are all very welcome if possible -worst night to start with the clash with the indoor meeting!

Thanks

Return to “Recent Sightings”