River Douglas, Red Bridge to White Bridge at Rufford

Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

River Douglas, Red Bridge to White Bridge at Rufford

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Left the desk behind for a walk in the bright spring sunshine.
Highlight was a female Hen Harrier near the railway line at Loch Meadow. Full list includes: Hen Harrier, Kestrel, Oystercatcher 11, Redshank 4, Lapwing 18, Teal, Goosander, Buzzard 2, Skylark (lots), Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Canada Goose 2, Long-tailed Tit, Linnet, Tree Sparrow, Mallard, Stock Dove, Wren, Blackbird, Starling, Jackdaw, Crow, Robin, Magpie, Moorhen, Chaffinch, Pheasant, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon.
Quite a few birders near Rufford were hanging around for the SEO's having not been able to get into Mere Sands because it was full!
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Paul,

90% of your walk would have been within the Chorley area. Loch Meadow certainly is, so I've moved your posting to Recent Sightings.

Neil
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Sorry Neil, it should have been in the recent sightings forum. All my recordings were in the CNHS area. My mistake..
Cheers
Paul
PS Year list now 82
gary lilley
Avocet

Loch meadow.

Post by gary lilley »

Which one is loch meadow paul ?
regards gary.
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Hi Gary,
It's the field west of the railway line and east of the Douglas just North of where the railway crosses the river downstream of White Bridge at Rufford. So effectively Loch Meadow is a triangle made by the railway, river and the footpath which cuts north east from the river towards Croston Moss. I'm sure you will have walked this many times! The large field north of Loch Meadow is Great Close which then becomes Croston Finney at Great Hanging Bridge.
Regards
Paul

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”