Croston Moss 1.11.11

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Croston Moss 1.11.11

Post by Neil Southworth »

It must be an afternoon bird! Great views of a stunning male Hen Harrier, which I picked up gliding low over the fields coming from the Mawdesley direction. I watched it cross the railway onto Croston Finney then lost it behind a clump of trees. I found it again, when a noisy confrontation between two birds caught my attention - a small raptor, possibly a Kestrel, was harrassing the harrier. It then retreated back across the railway towards Mawdesley, but a little later reappeared on Croston Finney, giving more great views in the glorious sunshine.
Other birds were much as Sunday, including Willow Tit again by the railway, plus a couple of Raven.
gary lilley
Avocet

HEN HARRIER .

Post by gary lilley »

Glad you got to see the harrier Neil , did you spot the willow tit near feeding station ?
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Gary, the Willow Tit was across the railway from the feeding station, but I believe Peter Ross saw it on the feeders on Sunday afternoon.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Whereabouts is the feeding station Neil/Gary. Is it accessible?
gary lilley
Avocet

croston moss.

Post by gary lilley »

The feeding station is at the gatehouse cottage next to the railway line, the birds can be watched at a short distance but respect must be given to the house owner as well , Neil did Peter ross spot the harrier on sunday , because as i was leaving the bird flew right over his direction.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Gary,

I rang Peter yesterday to tell him about the harrier because he visits the mosses quite often, and doesn't use the forum. He told me he'd bumped into you, and you'd told him about the harrier, but unfortunately he didn't see it. He got second prize with the Willow Tit though. :D
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I had a walk across Croston Moss this afternoon. The strong wind was not very conducive to birding as I walked from Drinkhouse Lane across the moss to Little Hanging Bridge and then back again from Great Hanging Bridge along Finney Lane.
On the moss there was a covey of 14 partridge, a Kestrel, several mallard and a Cormorant at a pond near Fours Wood. Long Tailed Tits and a Robin on the edge of Fours Wood. A few BH Gulls overhead. together with the odd passerine bird. There was also 4 Meadow Pipits.
No sign of the Willow Tit, although I saw the rump of a Great Spotted Woodpecker as it flew away from the feeding station into the bushes. There were probably more variety of birds along the short stretch of Finney Lane between the railway and Drinkhouse Lane than I had seen all afternoon, including Blue Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Robin, Blackbird and at least 3 Redwing and 2 Raven in the adjacent field. Also seen were 7 Magpie near Drinkhouse Lane. As I started the car I saw a large bird fly from the west side of the railway just into the east side and then back again, as it turned I could see the brown tones and a glimpse of a white rump - it was the Hen Harrier. Well at least I saw it!
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Len,

The feeding station which Gary and I are talking about is at High Lane crossing. Going off the description of your walk, you probably didn't go that way.

Neil
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Your right Neil. The cottage I was referring to was on Finney Lane. No wonder there were no Willow Tits there :?

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”