Hen Harrier, Eccleston, Tinklers Lane fields.

John Edwards
Peregrine

Hen Harrier, Eccleston, Tinklers Lane fields.

Post by John Edwards »

An adult male Hen Harrier this morning at 9-50, this is only my second sighting of a hen harrier in Eccleston the first 11 years ago also an adult male.
I first saw the bird on the large field with the Lily pond, it flew over the hedge towards the river out of sight, I went to a gap in the hedge and looked through but couldn't see it anywhere. I went through into the next field heading towards Syd Brook Lane and spotted it again quartering the field near the river, I lost it from sight behind some trees and didn't relocate it again, either it carried on towards the North or flew along the river.
John Edwards
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Great sighting, John! Maybe it'll be regular this winter on Croston and Mawdesley Moss - we can only hope!
gary lilley
Avocet

hen harrier.

Post by gary lilley »

Great sighting John , ive never seen a hen harrier in eccleston before, i might get a chance to look on mawdesley/croston moss at the weekend .
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Neil Southworth wrote:Great sighting, John! Maybe it'll be regular this winter on Croston and Mawdesley Moss - we can only hope!
I hope so Neil, it certainly made my day!
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Re: hen harrier.

Post by John Edwards »

gary lilley wrote:Great sighting John , ive never seen a hen harrier in eccleston before, i might get a chance to look on mawdesley/croston moss at the weekend .
I would think there's more chance of seeing one on Mawdesley moss there's far less disturbance there, best of luck anyway. I'll be out again tomorrow looking for it. Besides the one I saw in feb 2000 I've only heard of one other sighting in the area and that was in Feb 2006 seen in the fields near Bradley Hall Red Lane.
John Edwards

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”