Mawdesley/ Croston moss possible Dotterel!.

gary lilley
Avocet

Mawdesley/ Croston moss possible Dotterel!.

Post by gary lilley »

Just had 3 hours of brilliant birdwatching on the mosses , i arrived at wood end farm area were straight away i spotted a hunting marsh harrier ( the bird was in the area for some time) nearby was a flock of 100+ linnet , further onto the main mawdesley / croston path a small bird flitted past , when i eventually found the bird it turned out to be a female whinchat (first one ive seen on the mosses) at the same time i picked up on goose calls as i looked up there was 50 pinkfoot flying over ( high up) heading towaards martin mere , seconds later i picked up on a strange call ( long drawn out whistle almost bullfinch like) as the call became louder i picked up on a bird flying fast about 30 feet off the ground the bird was a definite plover it headed towards croston finney , my gut feeling was Dotterel , i spent a good hour looking for the bird around meadow lane area but had no luck , other birds , 5 snipe , 1 red leg , 6 buzzard , 1 sparrowhawk , 1 kestrel , 100 linnet ( croston meadow lane , 3 grey wag ( sewage works) 1 grey lag goose , i spotted the female marsh harrier again over croston finney , overall one of the best days birdwatching ive ever had !
Peter Catterall
Buzzard

Post by Peter Catterall »

Wow.. truly a day to remember..
Bryan Thomas
Goldeneye

Post by Bryan Thomas »

Excellent!
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Gary,

Great birding .

Chris.
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

Hi Gary, great day for you, just come back from Anglesey on a fishing week, plenty of small skeins of Pink Foots there, but just want to say we've had Dotterel many years ago on the fields south of Eyes Lane - but these were spring records - great records, well done
Brian

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”