Lower Healey 10.9.11

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Lower Healey 10.9.11

Post by Neil Southworth »

Still quiet at Lower Healey with very little in the air. Full sightings:-

Cormorant over, pair Mute Swan and 2 cygnets, hybrid goose, pair Tufted Duck, Mallard 19, Coot 4, Moorhen, BH Gull and LBB Gull over, Woodpigeon, GS Pecker, Meadow Pipit, Swallow 5 over, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Chiffchaff, Blue, Great, Coal and LT Tit (min12), Nuthatch, Jay 3, Magpie, Crow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch 7, Siskin
Insects:- Speckled Wood, Small White
Flora:- plant with small white flowers similar to Japanese Knotweed, but on bindweed stems with small leaves, which I have identified as Copse Bindweed - I don't thinK I've seen it before. Is it common, anyone?

Also in Lyons Lane ca 50 Starling attacking a Rowan - there's going to be nothing left for Waxwings at that rate!
duxbury rambler
Raven

Post by duxbury rambler »

Copse Bindweed - Fallopia dumetorum a scarce plant Neil never seen it myself but a great find and record if it is. Would love a look and some photos. Was there any seed on it?
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Carol,

It was alongside the path between Top and Bottom Lodge at Lower Healey, in the hedgerow below Top Lodge. When I saw the flowers I assumed it was Japanese Knotweed, but when I looked closer, I realised it was some kind of bindweed. You can't miss it because there's quite a lot. I would appreciate a confirmation or correction of id.
duxbury rambler
Raven

Thanks Neil, we will have a look later this week - :D
duxbury rambler
Raven

Not Copse Bindweed Neil but its cousin Russian Vine. As you said plenty of it - nice find.

Neil Southworth
Avocet

I take it that it's a garden escape then? And perhaps the next big pest - pretty though it is?
duxbury rambler
Raven

Yes an escapee Neil, it is very pretty as for being a pest I have seen it in various places and there was never any problem, look on the bright side it could strangle the life out of the surrounding balsam :wink:

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”