Croston sewage works , twin lakes and river lostock.

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston sewage works , twin lakes and river lostock.

Post by gary lilley »

Usual birds on the twin lakes , found a flock of around 20 tree sparrows near the sewage works , on the nearby wheat fields reed buntings and yellowhammers were going into roost in a overgrown hedgerow ( up to 10 birds of each species) 1 sparrowhawk near the sewage works , had a walk up and down the lostock as the light faded , 1 kestrel on the bretherton side , 1 buzzard feeding on a large bird ( possilbe canada goose) in the middle of a stubble field and highlight of the night was a hunting barn owl which was behind the twin lake at first then went onto the banks of the lostock before heading off in the direction of the e shaped ponds , also heard a couple of chiffchaff earlier on .
Richard P Todd
Buzzard

Post by Richard P Todd »

Hi Gary, I think they nest nearby,up until recently my uncle used to live in a house called Owl Barn on the main road just before the Anchor Pub.

Regards Richard.
gary lilley
Avocet

barn owl

Post by gary lilley »

I saw the barn owl last year with prey heading to the house on the bad bends in brethereton maybe its the same house Richard .
Richard P Todd
Buzzard

Post by Richard P Todd »

Thats the one Gary, my uncle moved recently but if you went and asked at the house i bet they would show you in. From memory you can see the birds from inside the house, tell them i sent you :lol:

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”