Croston/mawdesley moss .

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by gary lilley »

Glorious morning on the moss as i arrived 150 pinkfoot were looking to land on the potato field ,plenty of finches and bunting on the double hedgerow but still no brambling , kestrel and buzzard , covey of 7 grey partridge ,7 corn bunting flew over calling,headed over the railway line were there was plenty of tree spaarows and finches at the bird table nearby a large amount of wheat had been tipped ( maybe for the pheasants ) but will obviously attract a lot of other species , headed towards the mawdesley side were i flushed a covey of 12 grey partridge with the help of a stoat , had a look at the set aside field were there was plenty of finches , tree sparrows and bunting but again could not find a brambling , flushed 20 snipe out of the rough field , hundreds of corvids about , headed back down the douglas were the swans were still present around 30 whooper and 15 mute , 5 goosander , 16 mallard , found a dead juv mute swan under wires on the large field next to the douglas ( been completely eaten ) ,
John Edwards
Peregrine

Re: Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by John Edwards »

I was on the Moss this morning as well, a shoot was on the fields south of the feeding station. The only birds of note that I saw different from what you had Gary were 2 Ravens together on one of the pylons a male Goosander flying along the Douglas and a grey wagtail there.
John Edwards

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”