Croston/mawdesley moss .

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by gary lilley »

Arrived at 9.00am headed towards loch meadow were the swans were already settled had a good look through them but no bewicks :( , counted 31 whooper and 17 mute with 2 more mute on a nearby ditch , well over 50 skylark on a nearby stubble field , 2 peregrine were hunting , 3 buzzard , 2 kestrel , 1 sparrowhawk , checked a set aside field on the mawdesley side were there was plenty of finches and buntings but no brambling , checked a good rough field on the mawdesley side in hope of another short eared owl but only flushed 7 snipe and a few pheasant , hundreds of jackdaw , and a few small skeins of pinkfoot .
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I also went to Croston Moss this morning 08:30 to 10:00 and saw the Skylark and the Swans from a distance. Other birds seen not noted by Gary were, a pair of Stonechat near where Finney Lane crosses the sluice, about 30 Fieldfare feeding on berries on Drinkhouse Lane, a single Redwing and a single Song Thrush also on Drinkwater Lane and a Little Owl and a Pied Wagtail near the outbuildings at the old farm.
Thomas Westhead
Sparrowhawk

Post by Thomas Westhead »

Hi guys,

Any suggestions on the best place to park when visiting Croston moss? Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Thomas.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I mainly park on Drinkhouse Lane near the car repair garage, or near to the pumping station at Great Hanging Bridge. If I am going to Lock Meadow or the Mawdesley side I park on the Rufford Station car park.
nora west
Little Egret

Post by nora west »

Be careful if you park at the station.as there are penalty notices of a 70 pound fine.its easier to park at the environment building at gt.hanging bridge.
Thomas Westhead
Sparrowhawk

Post by Thomas Westhead »

Hello all,

Thanks for the info :wink:

Cheers,

Tom.

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”