Stannings Folly

Moderator: Neil Southworth

phil kirk
Site Admin

Stannings Folly

Post by phil kirk »

I have been asked if I know what Stannings Folly (nr Wymott) is or was. Anyone know?
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Re: Stannings Folly

Post by Paul Whittaker »

My understanding is that it was the outflow treatment works which served John Stanning cotton bleaching in Broadfield, Leyland. The treated water was released into the River Lostock.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Stannings Folly

Post by Leonard Poxon »

There appears to be two Stanning's Folly's in the area.

One is a decorative wall, which includes a large arch through which a brook flows over a weir. This is at Shaw Brook to the south of Worden Park.

The second site is a wooded area to the east of Ridley Lane and to the north of the former Littlewood Brickworks.
On the first edition OS 1:2,500 map there is no wood in this area but it is annotated 'brick field'.

During the second world war the whole area was covered in railway lines which led to numerous magazines (brick built structues surrounded by earth mounds) used for the storage of shells produced at Euxton ROF site. There was one such magazine in the middle of the wooded area.

John Stanning (father & son) were owners of a large bleachworks in Leyland (now built upon, apart from the reservoirs which form Shruggs Wood Nature Reserve). It is likely that the Stannings had several other factories in the Leyland area.

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”