Magpies

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Magpies

Post by Neil Southworth »

221 Magpies were counted going to roost in Yarrow Valley Park on Sunday (16th). Info from Eddie Langrish.
Mervyn Thornhill
Sparrowhawk

Re: Magpies

Post by Mervyn Thornhill »

My garden (at the extreme south of Euxton overlooking fields leading down to the Yarrow) has been plagued with them for the last month or so. Each morning on getting up we have disturbed anything between 5 and 15 and they have been in and out of the garden all day. They have been taking nuts out of hanging feeders and fat balls out of the woodpecker feeder and their worst excesses came when meal worms were put out.

I have had to stop putting out fat balls and meal worms in the hope that most of them will move on.

Oddly enough I haven't noticed any today. Whether that is down to my withdrawing their favourite foods or whether they have just moved on, I don't know.
Mervyn Thornhill
Sparrowhawk

Post by Mervyn Thornhill »

And what is more, apart from the odd one, they haven't reappeared since. I would be interested to know if the YVP roost is reduced in numbers.
Eddie Langrish
Goldeneye

Post by Eddie Langrish »

Hi Melvyn,
If you fancy a helping out to do an other count, let me know which day, 3pm at the kissing gate near the recycling dept. ( any day Mon to fri next week )

Cheers Eddie
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

About 15 years ago I counted c98 along a hedge on Tincklers fields Eccleston, these were just the birds I could see so who Knows how many more were hidden from view inside the hedge? I've never seen so many Magpies in one place before or since. If I remember correctly it was in May and at day break.
John Edwards

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”