Croston finney /moss.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston finney /moss.

Post by gary lilley »

Lots of birds about on this stunning morning ,i arrived just before 8.00am straight away the noise of pinkfoot were everywhere ( hundreds) there was birds dropping down in several areas with the potatoe field being popular again , moving up the track towards the double hedgerow i spotted a single mute swan on the drainage ditch , around 70 linnet were feeding on the weed seeds , and a female stonechat gave great views , lots of birds were in the double hedgerow linnets , reed buntings , yellowhammers , chaffinch , greenfinch , goldfinch but no brambling ( still need brambling for year list) , as i was watching the hedgerow 3 whooper swans dropped onto the potato field , it was in this area were i found a dead buzzard under the electric wires ( on close inspection both leg bones appeared to be shattered ) , 10 lapwing flew by , had a quick look at the feeding station were there was at least 1 willow tit feeding from the table also several tree sparrow, blue tit and chaffinch present , 1 stoat ran across the track nearby , 10 collard dove were near the feeding station , 1 sparrowhawk , 1 buzzard ,1 little grebe on the drainage ditch , good to see Len Poxen on my travels ( spotted the female stonechat again near to my van Len ) as i was leaving there was still geese coming , one of the best mornings ive had on the finney :D .
gary lilley
Avocet

Re: Croston finney /moss.

Post by gary lilley »

Just had a second visit of the day this time coming from the mawdesley side and checking a few different places , still hundreds of pinkfoot and woodpigeon , 5 kestrel , 2 sparrowhawk , 2 buzzard (one showing rough legged type plumage) , willow tit still feeding at the bird table , 10+ l t tits , flushed 6 snipe from a boggy area , plenty of skylark , redwing and fieldfare on the double hedgerow ( some birds drinking and bathing in a puddle) , 6 goosander along the douglas .
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Croston finney /moss.

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Nice to meet Gary there this morning (I was also looking for Brambling for my year list, to no avail!). In addition to those birds seen by Gary, I saw, Merlin (f), 2 Grey Partridge, Great Spotted Woodpecker (f), House Sparrow, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush and a flock of 40 Fieldfare that landed on Drinkwater Lane, some of them literally and others in the trees alongside and several of them commenced to drink water from a puddle in the lane (which was kind of appropriate).

Image Merlin (f)

Image Pink Footed Geese

Image Pink Footed Goose

Image Pink Footed Goose

Image Fieldfare on Drinkwater Lanr

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”