Croston Moss

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Croston Moss

Post by Neil Southworth »

Vast numbers of birds on Croston Moss towards the wind turbines, including 2000+ Pink-footed Geese, 1000+ corvids (mainly Jackdaw but with plenty of Crow, Rook and possibly Raven mixed in) and maybe 2000+ Starling in at least 3 separately swirling flocks. I don't know what was disturbing them as the sun was in the wrong position for good viewing, but they and the corvids spent a lot of time in the air. There were also a good few Skylark in the air constantly chirruping and occasionally singing.
There were also 200+ Woodpigeon in Alma Wood, which were also constantly in the air. Both Buzzard and Kestrel were also around but I don't think they were causing the disturbance. Another 250 Pinkfeet were in a field between Sumner's Lane and Alma Wood but they were flying off, a few at a time, to join the main group.
Birds seen along Drinkhouse /Moss Lane were in smaller numbers but there was a good mix:- Moorhen, Buzzard, Kestrel, Pheasant, Moorhen, Stock Dove 9, Pied Wagtail, Redwing 12, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Magpie, Jay, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch, Brambling, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer.

P.S. Does anybody know anything about a 60 acre solar farm at Mawdesley?
John Edwards
Peregrine

Re: Croston Moss

Post by John Edwards »

I've seen a few posters up Neil though I've no idea on where they are planning to situate it, I hope it's not on Mawdesley moss. I'll try and find out a bit more.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Neil, it looks like the proposed site is on farmland off Tannersmith Lane not far from Heskin Old Hall. More info here www.34fp.org.uk/
John Edwards
Neil Southworth
Avocet

I notice that the Screening for Opinion process is over and that Chorley Planners have decided that an Environmental Impact Assessment is not required with the Planning Application. This is disappointing because if it is the site I think it is, it is arable farmland which supports breeding populations of the following red-listed species:- Grey Partridge, Lapwing, Skylark, Tree Sparrow, Linnet, Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer.
Dave Tennant
Blue Tit

Post by Dave Tennant »

Enjoyed following this forum for a while but never posted until now. Late sightings from yesterday, 3 hour walk around the moss and it seemed to be alive with the sight and sound of birds, most of which were pinkfeet geese. rough guess 2500, female stonechat,large flocks of wood pigeon and starling sometimes mixing together. 1 yellowhammer, good numbers of skylark, 2 kestrel[ 1 male, the other very pale possible juvenile] flying together and locking talons at times but not in an aggressive way. 1 buzzard feeding in field, 1 raven calling from pylon, sadly 1 dead curlew/whimbrel not 100% , i took some photos with my phone if i can work out how to put them on here will do. the guy who mans the level crossing at the station told me he was convinced he had watched a common tern fishing on the lake opposite the station carpark 10 minutes before i bumped into him, i hung around for a few minutes but the light was fading and nothing turned up . all in all a really enjoyable walk and what a fantastic place.
Dave Tennant
Blue Tit

Post by Dave Tennant »

Just to add a flock of 11 fieldfare were moving through to the southwest.
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Neil, when we first moved to Eccleston I saw my first Yellowhammers on those fields and often used to cycle around the back lanes there. It will be a shame if they cover the fields with solar panels.
John Edwards
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Hi Dave (Tennant). Welcome to the Forum. we look forward to receiving your postings.
Regards, Neil.
Dave Tennant
Blue Tit

Post by Dave Tennant »

Thanks for the welcome neil, not sure how regular my postings will be living the other side of wigan but i look forward to it. Best wishes Dave,

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”