Fly Agarics second flush

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Fly Agarics second flush

Post by Joyce Riley »

On return from a few days away, I found 3 Fly Agarics under Birch in my garden where they were growing in early September. Also lots of Common Inkcaps seen today where tree cut down off Southport Road, Chorley and Shaggy Inkcaps at Clayton Brook seen yesterday. Anyone else seen any fungi as forum sightings of fungi seem to be conspicuous by their absence this year?
John Love
Sparrowhawk

Re: Fly Agarics second flush

Post by John Love »

Had a walk to Rivington Pike today (1/11/14) saw good numbers of Fly Agarics 15+ throughout woodland.
Birds seen-
Fieldfares, 3 flocks (c100, 50, 40)
Redwings, single figures(some mixed in with fieldfare)
Goldcrest
Blackbird
Long Tailed Tit
Chaffinch (checked for Brambling none seen)
Great Tit
Kestrel
Ian Cameron
Goldfinch

Post by Ian Cameron »

Hi Joyce,

I am one of a group of 3 "Fungists" who regularly go searching in the Darwen/Blackburn/Chorley area. ( I think you may have met Harry and Mike the other two - in Chorley Cemetery last autumn) and we have found it to have been a very disappointing year for Fungi.
Our local Fungi hot spot Sunnyhurst Wood in Darwen is usually a good barometer of how good the Fungi season has been but this has been one of the worst in years. Whenever we have managed to find anything of interest it has nearly always been bitten to bits by slugs and many species that have often been prolific in the past seem to have fared poorly this year.

Regards

Ian
Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Post by Joyce Riley »

Thanks Ian for your comments on your fungi season. Situation seems to be improving around Chorley - see today's postings. Let's hope we don't have early frosts to kill off the fungi.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Forgot to mention I had a short visit to Chorley cemetery on Wednesday, there were several fungi visible, including a good number of inkcaps in one group, Orange Peel fungus, Bay Bolete (well past its best), Saffron Milkcap, Conifer Tuft and Blue-edged Pinkgill.

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”