A grand day out

Moderator: Neil Southworth

mark nightingale
Barn Owl

A grand day out

Post by mark nightingale »

A trip out with Dave Barker on Sunday starting at white coppice cricket field with a single Pied wagtail (yarrelli) we headed right towards black coppice. A Grey wagtail near the river and two male Cuckoos calling from the hillside one giving good views through the scope, also Jay, Common buzzard and singing Blackcap.
We headed back towards the plantation at Brinscal along the bridle way. Loads of Willow warbler singing also Coal tit, Blue Tit and Great tit, Robin, Wren and several Nuthatch near the stone bridge where we heard the bubbling call of female Cuckoo, a first for me!
Crossing the stream at the plantation and heading back we stopped under a large tree gaining shelter from the rain, another male Cuckoo but much closer this time then I was rewarded with my first Hobby as it cruised passed turning to show off its red trousers fantastic!!
Back at the stone bridge we enjoyed watching Nuthatch feeding a brood of hungry chicks, unusually the nest site was a hole in the cement between the stone work, never seen or heard of that before!!!

Bacon butty’s consumed we moved on to Eyes lane at Bretherton. It was pretty quite for there. 4 Yellowhammer, 2 Linnet and distant Reed bunting with Common buzzard over head being mobbed by a Crow

Onward to Marshside. Highlights were Brown hare, close views of Sedge warbler, Common whitethroat and Reed warbler. Also Lesser black backed and Herring gulls, Wigeon, Common redshank, a single Pink footed goose and around 20 Black tailed godwits looking resplendent in summer plumage

We ended the day at Hesketh out marsh a great site for Barn owl but not today. Another Brown hare, Avocet, Shellduck and Common redshank. A single Kestrel and nesting Tree sparrows plus Skylarks singing over head

Many thanks to Dave Barker for a fabulous day out
nora west
Little Egret

Re: A grand day out

Post by nora west »

Mark the Nuthatch has nested in that hole for a few years.its the only one . I know of thats not in a tree. Also welcome to the forum.Nora west.
andy leach
Golden Eagle

Post by andy leach »

Welcome to the form mark. Nuthatch will use any suitable crack or crevice we (my 2IC and me) are currently monitoring 7 nuthatch nests of which 2 are in man made structures one a dry stone wall and the other in a crack in a building in a graveyard both unable to get to to ring the young not to worry nest record cards to the B.T.O will do very nicely thank you
Dave
Raven

Post by Dave »

Thanks for a fabulous day out Mark, really enjoyed it fantastic birds we saw though your digiscope,
Visit Our Website [url=http://"http://www.holidays-revealed.com/"]Clicky Linky[/url] Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk
mark nightingale
Barn Owl

Thanks Dave, you can tell when you've had a good day when you don't want it to end :D
mark nightingale
Barn Owl

Thanks for the welcome and the info Andy and Nora. I'd never heard of Nuthatch doing that before, I saw one down Duxbury several years ago, it was in an old GS woodpecker hole neatly sealed up with mud
We watched the one at white coppice and even saw the young but sadly couldn't get a decent photo due to the light.
The midges were pretty bad as well :(

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”