Brook Lamprey spotted Rivington

Moderator: Neil Southworth

treelord
Blue Tit

Brook Lamprey spotted Rivington

Post by treelord »

Hi I'm new to this forum..I've always been into wildlife birdwatching, metal detecting, fieldcraft..while out walking yesterday in Rivington I spotted what at first thought looked like a eel, I jumped into the stream and managed to get it onto the side to take a photo.here it is..never seen one in all the years I have lived on the edge of Rivington..was great to see this in a local stream...Not far from Rivington Village. Also a friend said he spotted a Red Kite taking off from a sheep field at the back of Rivington School he was amazed to see it here, two other locals have said they have seen it this week...defo not a Buzzard this had a distinct triangular tail..and much bigger than a Buzzard...anybody else seen it.....
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (183.93 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (168.18 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Re: Brook Lamprey spotted Rivington

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

Brilliant - I love lamprey of all species, in the 70s we used to see Brook Lamprey regularly in the Goit - in their thousands - usually in the spring - they live their lives as ammocoetes for up to 7 years (larval stage) quickly mature into sexual adults and after spawning die! They spend all their lives in fresh water - unlike their cousins; - Please keep a watch for them elsewhere - many thanks!
Brian

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”