Burgh Hall Lane & Burgh Meadow

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Burgh Hall Lane & Burgh Meadow

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Birds seen/heard: 4 Chiffchaff (3m 1f?), one at the bottom of the meadow the other 3 at the top of Burgh Hall Lane. Two males were singing in close proximity, every now and again they had a bit of a dust up and a third bird joined in, which I assumed was a female (it could have been a non-singing male however), whilst attempting to photograph the Chiffchaffs I heard a Reed Warbler singing in the wet area between Burgh Hall Lane and the Dragonfly pond (it was only a few snatches of song heard 4 times), 1 Blackcap (again not on full song), Lesser Spotted Woodpecker heard calling and drumming, Common Buzzard, Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, 2 Song Thrush, Nuthatch, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jay, Blue Tit, Great Tit, 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Flowers included: Cuckoo Flower, Cowslips and Marsh Marigold.

Reed Warbler takes my total to 101.
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Re: Burgh Hall Lane & Burgh Meadow

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

Wow! that's a very early date for Reed Warbler - probably the earliest we've had, some good from these saharan winds!!
Brian
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Brian,

There have been 4 posted on Birdguides, the first was 28.03.14 and that includes one today in West Yorkshire.

I noticed that there have been some very early Lesser Whitethroat posted as well over the last week (10 so far from 23.03.14) including one on Aldcliffe Marshes near Lancaster.

There have also been 9 Grasshopper Warblers, including one at Martin Mere last Thursday.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

The earliest first arrival date for Reed Warbler in Lancashire and North Merseyside was 5th April 2011. The mean is 16th April with a trend to earlier arrivals. Chorley area first arrivals tend to be around 21st April.

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”