Charnock richard .

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Charnock richard .

Post by gary lilley »

Watching a football match this evening ( charter lane) pair of displaying kestrel and a buzzard the nearby disused golf course looks a promising place to explore there is a public footpath through the area i was talking to a local dog walker who said there are around 15 ponds on the site and plenty of birds around ( could turn up a rarity or two ) need to the check the area out before the bulldozers move in ! .
ianball
Peregrine

Re: Charnock richard .

Post by ianball »

I don't know if it is still the case but I thought somebody had bought the rights to the golf course and it would reopen some time in the future. I've played golf there several times and the ponds are excellent for dragonflies. I remember having Red Veined Darter there during the year when they were relatively widespread in the area. Bird life tended to be dominated by Birds of prey with Buzzard, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk being regular. The large amount of scrub was very good for warblers in the summer.
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

A certain Dave Whelan has bought it ( wigan athletic) and the word on the street is that it will be developed into a large training faciltiy for the football team .
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

That'll be a shame. I've seen many good birds and dragonflies whilst playing golf at certain courses and Charnock was always a reliable one for interesting things.

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”