Red-flanked Bluetail

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Red-flanked Bluetail

Post by Neil Southworth »

A probable female / first winter Red-flanked Bluetail was seen and photographed near the bird table in the small car park at Yarrow Valley Park. Unfortunately, this was on the 5th February. However, it should be noted that a Red-flanked Bluetail has also over-wintered in Gloucestershire. That particular bird was found at the beginning of February, and is still present. So, it has to be possible that the YVP bird is still present!! Get searching!
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Re: Red-flanked Bluetail

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Neil, Any sightings since 5th February?
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Paul,

We only learned about it yesterday, so there are no other known sightings.

The record has been referred to Steve White - the Lancashire Bird Recorder.
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Thanks Neil, fantastic record for Chorley and Lancashire and not on my British List! So I feel a visit to YVP shortly!
I don't have a list of birds recorded in Chorley (is one available?) but I expect this must be a contender for the top of the list of rare birds?
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Paul,

I think you were the last person to do a definitive list for Chorley! I think it's probably time we published a new list!

There are a lot of good birds on the list, including Ring-necked Duck, GW Egret, Cattle Egret, Roller, Bee Eater and Golden Oriole, but I think this would occupy top spot!

One advantage of lots of people looking for it might be that somebody would nail down Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, which is regarded as extinct in the north west apart from the Chorley area!
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

I'm happy to assist putting a list together. I have time and technology!
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

Given Neil's comment re LS Woodpeckers being considered extinct in Lancashire wouldn't it be a good idea to try and focus members' birding on trying to establish the status of this bird in our area - just about the best time of year - check out their call/drumming - lets see what is out there members!
Brian
nora west
Little Egret

Post by nora west »

I heard and saw lsw on the 2nd of march near the weir.I did post it on the forum.also Ricky hoyle heard one on the 12th.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I also briefly heard a LSW on 9th Feb at the north side of Big Lodge and had reports (from a friend of my son) hearing a LSW on several mornings in the same area the following week.

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”