Croston twin lakes Wigeon and Gadwall!

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston twin lakes Wigeon and Gadwall!

Post by gary lilley »

Went in hope to the twin lakes that something may have been blown in but was not expecting what i found 20 + wigeon , at least 11 gadwall , 6 tufted duck , plenty of mallard 100 coot , 1 gc grebe , moorhen , 6 mute swan , 10 canada geese , 1 heron the birds were still present when i left but were a little jumpy at times , nearby on the lostock i spotted 200 lapwing with plenty of gulls on the bretherton side , sad news was finding a decapitated barn owl near to the lostock a buzzard had flown from the area maybe it had killed the owl or picked it up as road kill ( there was no rings on the bird ) had a walk around the boundary of the e shaped ponds only a few coot on the water , 2 snipe over , 1 hunting kestrel , 1 pheasant , small numbers of redwing fieldfare and blackbird on the hawthorn , 1000 + woodpigeon heading into roost at croston big wood ( maybe more, birds arriving all the time).
Gadwall brings my chorley year list up to 135 species .
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Croston twin lakes Wigeon and Gadwall!

Post by Neil Southworth »

Have you not already got Gadwall, Gary?
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

Not that i no of neil , the only gadwall sighting i recall of hearing about on the whole of the forum was andy leachs sighting at arley res , i dont recall seeing any this year , my other problem is ive recently lost my year list and cant check that :oops: .
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Gadwall is down on the overall year list which stands at 145, and I'd assumed it was your sighting, but now you mention it, it probably was Andy Leach at Arley.

Hope you find your year list, though. Could have serious implications if you don't! :wink:

Return to “2013 Recent Sightings Submissions”