Croston & Mawdesley Mosses this afternoon

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Croston & Mawdesley Mosses this afternoon

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Birds seen/heard;
kingfisher on River Douglas near railway Bridge and another on one of the drains on Mawdesley Moss. Little Grebe (juvenile - yellow beak!) on River Douglas near lock meadow and another on a drain on Croston Moss. Two Kestrel and a Buzzard near the River Douglas, a third Kestrel on Mawdesely Moss and a second Buzzard near the high voltage pylons on Croston Moss. A flock of around 50 Skylark with several others in ones or twos spread over other areas of the mosses. Possible pair of Stonechat or Whinchat in flight on Croston Moss. At least 3 Wren at various locations 1 Moorhen. 1 Blackbird, 2 Blue Tit, several Tree Sparrows near the feeding station. Small flock of approx. 10 Chaffinch. Large flock of approx. 110 Linnet with at least 3 Goldfinch and 1 Greenfinch on the wires - the flock was disturbed several times but I could not determine why - no predators were near them. Carrion Crow, Magpie, Pheasant, 1 Robin, a mixed flock of around 14 Yellowhammer and Corn Bunting were on Mawdesley Moss. A flock or around 200 corvids and a flock of around 50 Woodpigeon, 2 Collared Dove. Several Skeins of Pink footed Geese over including one of around 150 birds , which came from the Southport direction, wheeled around and landed in the fields adjacent the west bank of the River Douglas. No sign of Whooper Swan, Woodcock, or Jack Snipe, but I managed to get one extra year tick (total now 126) in the form of a Little Egret just before I crossed the River Douglas near Rufford Station, the bird was flying from the Mawdesley direction towards Southport. Also no signs of Barn Owl or Short Eared Owl at either side of the river.

Image Little Egret

Return to “2013 Recent Sightings Submissions”