Yarrow Valley - Birkacre 22/12

Moderator: Neil Southworth

ianball
Peregrine

Yarrow Valley - Birkacre 22/12

Post by ianball »

When I arrived at 9am it was very quiet indeed. Walked to the weir with only Robins for company. Back to Top Lodge and the channel - still nothing. Then whilst looking over Top Lodge for one last time a distant woodpecker called. Seemed to high for Great Spot I thought. So I had a quick listen on my bird ID phone app at woodpecker calls to remind myself. Turned it off, listened and the call came again - identical to the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker call. The call was coming from the wooded gully north east of the Lodge. I quickly wandered up the path by the gully and stood opposite the bird feeder just past the bauble strewn tree (is there a story there?). No more sight nor sound. But on return to the main path I was treated to superb close ups of Nuthatch and Treecreeper, and Grey Wagtail flying past. Little and Great Crested Grebe on the main lodge.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Re: Yarrow Valley - Birkacre 22/12

Post by Chris Rae »

Ian,

Better luck next time for the Lesser sw.

Chris.
duxbury rambler
Raven

Post by duxbury rambler »

Bauble strewn tree - Ian it's the Christmas Tree we all contribute to - join in and add a bauble :)
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Which bird ID App do you use, Ian?
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

I have the iBird UK app. It's very useful for showing my kids pictures of some of the birds we see on our various travels - and every now and then checking out bird calls.

Return to “2013 Recent Sightings Submissions”