Croston Moss this morning

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Croston Moss this morning

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Birds seen/heard:
Nice walk on a lovely sunny, frosty morning (until it clouded over).
Several large skeins of Pink Footed Geese in the region of 500 birds, Rook, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, BH Gull, Pheasant approx. 10, 2 Red Legged Partridge, distant view of possible Merlin, several Song Thrush eating Yew berries on Drinkhouse Lane and several more on Finney Lane, also at least 1 Mistle Thrush in same areas, Blackbird, Dunnock, Robin, 3 Wren, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Great Tit, House Sparrow, Starling, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, 1 Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting in at least 3 locations, including 2 pairs and a flock of at least 6, flock of Skylark/Meadow Pipit between 50 and 60 birds in total, small flock of Linnet with some Greenfinch and Corn Bunting, Redwing, Fieldfare and a pair of Stonechat. No mammals seen.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Croston Moss this morning

Post by Neil Southworth »

I was slightly later than you, Len - I saw you disappearing up Finney Lane - and didn't see any PF Geese at all! I did, however see a family party of 6 Whooper Swans flying along the Douglas. Most of the birds I saw were concentrated in the double hedge, where there were good numbers of finches and buntings, including, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Linnet, Corn and Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer.
There was a lot of shooting going on across the railway, but I did see Sparrowhawk being seen off by a Crow, and a couple of Buzzard.
Whooper Swan takes me onto 130.

Return to “2013 Recent Sightings Submissions”