Further improvements to fight spam

Updates about the running of the website. Feel free to post comments here if you feel something needs to be added or improved.

Moderators: phil kirk, richardwkirk

richardwkirk
Site Admin

Further improvements to fight spam

Post by richardwkirk »

In order to try and prevent spam messages getting on to the forum I have made an improvement to the sign up process. Instead of using visual confirmation when registering (the image of mixed up letters) we are now using text confirmation where you have to answer a question when registering. The spambots used by spammers to automatically sign up will hopefully struggle to answer these questions and with any luck they will leave us alone. Do not worry though, the answers are very easy for a human to give.

In addition the memberlist has been removed from the site. Having a memberlist is desireable by spammers as it gives them a good place to display contact information which is usually the websites they are trying to promote. By removing the memberlist hopefully spammers will find out site less attractive as a target.

I will keep investigating further improvements that we can make to fight spam. Please let me know if you experience any problems with the changes made.

Richard
richardwkirk
Site Admin

Post by richardwkirk »

The memberlist is back but it is only available if you login.

Return to “Website News”