Driven Grouse Shooting

Latest news about the society and events in our area.

Moderators: Neil Southworth, phil kirk

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Driven Grouse Shooting

Post by Neil Southworth »

Steve White, the county Bird Recorder, has forwarded the following email from Mark Avery regarding driven grouse shooting. If you agree with its contents, you may wish to sign the petition:-

I am writing to ask for your help to send a message to the next Westminster government. If you sign my e-petition to ban driven grouse shooting and/or pass it on to others so that they can decide for themselves, then that would be a great help. But please do that now as this e-petition expires when parliament is dissolved on 30 March.
The e-petition is on the Westminster government website which means that it has political clout. Already it is one of the most successful e-petitions ever – being in the top 0.5% of all e-petitions on this site. The e-petition applies to England, but any UK citizen is entitled to sign it.
Driven grouse shooting, where lines of beaters chase the Red Grouse across the hills to fly past lines of ‘guns’ who pay large amounts of money to shoot at them, is the source of wildlife crime (killing of birds of prey), damaged wildlife sites (burning of blanket bogs), increased carbon emissions (from heather burning and soil erosion), increased water bills (through water discolouration requiring water treatment) and increased home insurance (through increased flood risk caused by land management in the hills). It is of trivial economic value to the economy but your taxes are helping to subsidise this field sport. We’d be better off without it.
All attempts to negotiate a more sustainable future with grouse shooting interests have failed through their intransigence. The only way forward for the wildlife enthusiast, the taxpayer and the many, is to ban this unsustainable practice of the few.
This e-petition has already sent a message to grouse shooters that they need to change and to politicians that they need to act. Your signature will help strengthen that message.
I am grateful to Chris Packham, the Green Party of England and Wales, Birdwatch magazine, the League Against Cruel Sports, Rare Bird Alert and a host of raptor workers and wildlife enthusiasts for their support in getting this e-petition so far. One last push and surge of signatures before the 30 March will strengthen that message.

But it’s up to you!
Please sign this e-petition to ban driven grouse shooting http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/65627. And please forward this e-petition to anyone you think that might sign it (even if you yourself do not).
Thank you for your help, and if you want to ask questions or raise points then get back to me and I'll do my best to answer them.

Dr Mark Avery

http://www.markavery.info

Return to “News”