White Coppice to the pine woods!

Latest news about the society and events in our area.

Moderators: Neil Southworth, phil kirk

Neil Southworth
Avocet

White Coppice to the pine woods!

Post by Neil Southworth »

Another attempt to find Tree Pipit, but another blank at the usual place. I then went up the edge of the woods and returned on the moors. I have had Tree Pipit on the woodland edge in previous years. I did hear a possibility, but it was too distant to be conclusive. The bonus though was a singing Wood Warbler at the top end of the wood at the edge of the moor.
At least two male Cuckoos were calling, and if Meadow Pipit is their host species, they will be spoilt for choice because there were birds on every clump of heather as I walked back. I also decided to count Willow Warbler between White Coppice and Heatherlea, which is not easy when they're singing all around, but I decided on a minimum of 20.
Full sightings:-
Pheasant, Curlew 3 or 4, Woodpigeon, Cuckoo 2, Pied Wagtail 3, Skylark 4 or 5, Meadow Pipit (lots), Swallow, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blackcap 4 or 5, Chiffchaff, Whitethroat 2 or 3, Willow Warbler 20, Wood Warbler, Goldcrest, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, (feeding young at 2 sites), LT Tit, Nuthatch, Magpie, Crow, Jackdaw, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet

Return to “News”