State of Play 8.3.12

Neil Southworth
Avocet

State of Play 8.3.12

Post by Neil Southworth »

As we are fast approaching the time when summer visitors start to arrive, I thought it was worth assessing the state of play in the Great Chorley Year List Challenge:-

1. Gary Lilley..........................92
2. Nora West...........................91
3. Andrew Leach......................87
4. Paul Whittaker.....................85
4= Neil Southworth...................85
6. Tony Dunn..........................81
6= David Beattie......................81
8. Len Poxon...........................74
9. Carol Thistlethwaite.............70
10. Bryan Thomas.....................-2

If anybody disagrees with the above, or would like to be added to the list, please let me know.
Last edited by Neil Southworth on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bryan Thomas
Goldeneye

Post by Bryan Thomas »

Does a frozen chicken and my next-door neighbour's budgie count as two ticks?
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Thanks for the update on the scores Neil. My number is correct.
Just out of personal interest, what is the total number of species recorded in the Chorley area so far this year?
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Paul,

I make it 105 at the moment, so even Gary's missed a few!

Neil
gary lilley
Avocet

State of play .

Post by gary lilley »

Its great to be leading the pack at the moment but ive no doubt the lead will change hands through the year ( hopefully not :lol: ) .
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Neil,
I'm suprised at the grand total, thought it would be mid/late 90's! And that means I've missed 20 so far! Must try harder.
Is there any simple way of getting copy of the list or could it be posted somewhere on the Society web pages or forum?
One good thing I've realised about this yearlist challenge is that it's making me target seeing specific species and that is taking me to places I haven't been before or in a long time and that in the end must be good for the societies records.
Must plan ahead now to work out where I need to go to pick up 8 year ticks??
Paul
nora west
Little Egret

year list.

Post by nora west »

I agree. Only for Gary starting this list I would not be making such an effort to find certain birds. I still have 5 pretty common birds to get yet that Gary has got. Nora.
gary lilley
Avocet

State of play .

Post by gary lilley »

It would be interesting to see the full list Neil so far .
Carol
Goldeneye

Late Starter

Post by Carol »

Mistle Thrush - 70 (but watch this space as there are loads of common ones I've not included - yet)
Carol
Neil Southworth
Avocet

OK. Here's the list, which has increased to 107, as I'd missed a couple off. A few of the species will not feature on anyone's list as they are one offs seen by people not taking part in the challenge:-

Little Grebe, GC Grebe, Cormorant, Great White Egret, Grey Heron
Mute Swan, Whooper Swan, PF Goose, White-fronted Goose, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose
Shelduck, Mandarin, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Pochard, Tufted, Goldeneye, Goosander
Hen Harrier, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine, Red Grouse, RL Partridge, Grey Partridge, Pheasant
Water Rail, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, Golden Plover, Lapwing, Knot, Dunlin, Jack Snipe, Snipe, Woodcock, Curlew, Redshank, Green Sandpiper
Med Gull, BH Gull, Common Gull, LBB Gull, Herring Gull, GBB Gull
Feral Pigeon, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Barn Owl, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, SE Owl
Kingfisher, GS Pecker, LS Pecker, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail
Dipper, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Black Redstart, Stonechat
Blackbird, Fieldfare, Song Thrush, Redwing, Mistle Thrush
Blackcap, Goldcrest, LT Tit, Willow Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper
Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Raven, Starling, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow
Chaffinch, Brambling, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Linnet, L.Redpoll, Bullfinch, Hawfinch
Snow Bunting, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Corn Bunting

That should total 107. If anyone thinks anything is missing, please let me know.
David Beattie
Peregrine

Birds

Post by David Beattie »

My total in Chorley 81. In UK 103; total taxa 235
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Thanks for the list Neil.
gary lilley
Avocet

Mistakes increases my total to 95 .

Post by gary lilley »

After looking at the overall total of 107 species it meant there was 15 species i had not seen , going through the birds i had not seen they only totalled 12 species meaning i had missed 3 birds after going through the whole list i worked out the birds were , buzzard , skylark and nuthatch , the 12 species ive not seen are gw egret , mandarin , gadwall, water rail , green sandpiper , med gull, ls pecker , blackcap , brambling, l redpoll, hawfinch, black redstart , i must buy myself a notebook as it proves you cannot remember everything you see my chorley year list is now 95 species ( sorry nora :oops: ).
nora west
Little Egret

list.

Post by nora west »

Thats ok Gary. thought you must have missed some out. Anyway may the best man (or woman) win. Nora.

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”