Update for January

Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Update for January

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Having some spare time on my hands this week, I decided to put it to good use by trying to close the gap in the Chorley year list.

On Monday 30th I decided to head for Winter Hill but on the way called in at Belmont. There were 37 Teal, 26 Lapwing, 2 Lesser-black Backs plus many Mallard and Black-headed Gulls.

Decided to walk up to Winter Hill via Belmont Road and following to ridge to the last compound. The Snow Buntings were easy to find as a birder with camera and tripod was already in situ.

On the way back I stopped at Lower Rivington Reservoir. Not much to report but I did pick up Common Gull and Canada Goose for my year list!

On Tuesday 31st January I called at Adlington Reservoir in the morning. There were plenty birds on the stubble fields by Chorley Road but out of the area. However, for the record there were 120+ Skylark, lots of corvids and a small group of Stock Dove. On the water 20+ Mallard and a single Teal. Around the reservoir Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Wren, Blackbird etc.

On the way back home I saw a large flock of Herring Gulls on a flooded field off Jolly Tar Lane. Well over 300 birds.

Late afternoon I ventured onto Mawdesley Moss. Fushed a Grey Heron. Lots of Magpie (30/40), 135 Lapwing flew over heading S/E and lots of Jackdaw. Meadow Pipit, Yellowhammer, Wren, Blackbird and a male Bullfinch in the double hedgerow.

So I boosted my Chorley yearlist by 18 species taking my total to 64. Still off the pace but with a few "gimmes" to tick I think I'm back in the race!

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”