Mawdesley Moss Field trip 8.1.12

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Mawdesley Moss Field trip 8.1.12

Post by Neil Southworth »

Don't forget Sunday's Field Trip to Mawdesley Moss - meeting at Rufford Railway Station car park at 9.00 am.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

A gratifying turn-out of 12 or so members arrived at Rufford station for the field trip. The walk got off to a flier with flocks of Pink-footed Geese and Whooper Swan flying over, and a sighting of a Barn Owl roosting in a hedgerow. Large flocks of corvids and woodpigeon were constantly moving around, perhaps being unnerved by the local Buzzards. Sadly, we then found a dead raptor, which will be the subject of a photographic autopsy to establish identity. A small flock of Skylark was put up as we passed, and similarly Red-legged Partridge and Snipe took off as we passed by. At the feeding station, good numbers of Tree Sparrow were noted plus a GS Pecker. At the double hedge, large numbers of Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Linnet, Greenfinch and Goldfinch were flying to and fro, and a party of Corn Buntings was perched on telephone wires. At this stage 'Peter Kay fine stuff' was soaking us through, and making observations difficult through rain-speckled optics. However, by the time we made the banks of the river Douglas, it had eased off, and we had good views of Goosander and Little Grebe on the river. As we reached the end of the walk, a flock of 10 Bullfinch was seen in a hedgerow, where a Song Thrush was in full song. Full sightings:-

Mute Swan, Whooper Swan 26, Pink-footed Geese 45, Mallard, Goosander 4, Little Grebe, Moorhen, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Red-legged Partridge 5, Pheasant, Snipe 2, Buzzard 4, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Barn Owl, BH Gull, LBB Gull, GBB Gull, Woodpigeon 500+, GS Pecker, Skylark 12, Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Robin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw 200+, Crow, Starling 200+, Tree Sparrow 20, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Bullfinch 10, Reed Bunting, Corn Bunting 10, Yellowhammer 20+

My Year List 57 and rising. Thanks, Gary! :D
Last edited by Neil Southworth on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nora west
Little Egret

field trip.

Post by nora west »

Yes it was a good morning .. Just a pity about the weather.Thanks Gary for finding us some good birds. nice to see quite a few people there.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Sorry that I could not make it to the end - late night on Saturday.

Some of the good turnout

The Whoopers were nice

Sparrowhawk ?

Merlin ?

Treetops

Chris
duxbury rambler
Raven

Flowers Mawdsley

Post by duxbury rambler »

Not a bad for a cool January day

In Flower:- Hairy Bittercress, White Dead Nettle, Red Dead Nettle, Common Field Speedwell, Hogweed, Dandelion, Common Mouse Ear this was ssp holosteoides found in wet areas, Scentless Mayweed, Groundsel.The pick of the day for me was the Field Pansy (ID at home) a good find thank you to who ever noticed it.

Just the leaf:- Rape, Cleavers, Lesser Celandine, Cow Parsley, waterweed (presume Canadian).
gary lilley
Avocet

Year list, Chorley area.

Post by gary lilley »

After the field trip my year list went up to 64 , latest additions little grebe and goosander
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

It was a very enjoyable morning despite the drizzle.
Thanks Gary.

My year list is now up to 51 species, game on.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re dead raptor. I'll stick my head above the parapet and suggest from the tail barring and underwing barring, that it was a juvenile Sparrowhawk, presumably male from its small size. Any other opinions?
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

The bird appears to have rounded ends to its wings as for hawks rather than pointed as for falcons. Although it is small I did see a very small stuffed SH once.

Chris.

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”