Croston finney /moss.

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston finney /moss.

Post by gary lilley »

A wild windy day but still lots of birds about , arrived just after 9.00am and straight away skein after skein of pinkfoots were flying over (around 1000 in total) most of the birds were coming from a north /northwest direction but none of the birds settled , woodpigeons were everywhere (2000 Probably a low count) , 11 corn bunting were on the wires above a stubble field , only spotted chaffinch and goldfinch in the double hedegrow , 20 tree sparrow ,few chaffinch , 1 male brambling , blue and great tit , gs pecker at the feeding station , around 10 yellowhammer in total in the hedegrows , several hundred linnet , a single shellduck flew over into wind was a first for a while , 4 buzzard , 1 kestrel , decent flock of redwing on a stubble field , handfull of fieldfare , 2 song thrush , 1 mistle thrush , good to meet several fellow birders on my travels .
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Gary ,

Are you hoping for any more birds for your list ?

The same goes for the other competitors with only 2 days to go.

Chris
gary lilley
Avocet

Bird list .

Post by gary lilley »

I won,t be going in search for one particular species Chris but i suppose there are a few species that could pop up anywhere Red kite , Lesser spotted woodpecker or some rare ducks , gulls or divers we,ll have to wait and see.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

In addition to Gary's sightings were Grey and Pied Wagtail in field off High Lane, 100 or so BH Gulls in the field by Croston Reed Bed plus a similar number of corvids, Sparrowhawk, several Pheasant, a couple of Stock Dove, and several Collared Dove in Drinkwater Lane.

Mammals:- Roe Deer 2, Short-tailed Field Vole

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”