Bretherton eyes/bank hall area.

gary lilley
Avocet

Bretherton eyes/bank hall area.

Post by gary lilley »

The main reason for my visit was to try and find a jack snipe ( ive found them in the same area before) i headed for the large rough field with my dog and my fingers crossed, straight away i flushed a couple of common snipe and as i moved deeper into the field more and more common snipe were jumping up with there harsh calls , some of the field was under a foot of water and i soon learnt the snipe were in the dryer areas and its in one of those areas my dog flushed a single jack snipe the bird taking up under its nose and as usual flying only 30/40 yards before dropping into cover , seconds later a single woodcock took up out of the thick cover and headed back to its normal habitat of the woods , i counted 34 snipe all together ,several reed bunting , 1 wren , 1 song thrush and 1 heron also found several remains of birds ( maybe peregrine kills) other birds spotted , 1 kestrel , 1 buzzard , 3 goosander , 30 pinkfoot , 2 treecreeper , 1 gs pecker , blue great and lt tits , lots of pheasant and mallard ( shooting releases) flocks of woodpigeon and jackdaws .

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”