Croston finney /moss.

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston finney /moss.

Post by gary lilley »

Had just over an hour this morning around the area , started off near the river douglas were mistle thrush( 4) and starlings were feeding , a kestrel was hunting nearby , i followed the main drainage ditch were a kingfisher was hunting and got a distant view of a merlin heading over the river , i had a look through the double hedgerow were i spotted 8 brambling with the chaffinch and goldfinch , the merlin ( fem) reappeared flying low over the large onion field and then over the railway line , the feeding station held a male brambling( first one ive seen hear) chaffinch , tree sparrow ,great tit and a willow tit,over the railway line i spotted 12 yellowhammer with reed bunting in some hawthorn , woodpigeon numbers (1000) were well down and only a small numbers of pinkfoot , i then worked my way round to the other railway crossing on finney lane on the way there i spotted a kestrel and good numbers of starlings /fieldfare and redwing and just before the crossing i came across a group of 5 bullfinch (3 male 2 fem) , over the crossing the large linnet flock was still feeding ( around 300) and finally back near my vechicle 1 spotted 2 whooper swans flying over the river .

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”