Big Lodge Yarrow Valley 25.12.12

duxbury rambler
Raven

Big Lodge Yarrow Valley 25.12.12

Post by duxbury rambler »

The Cormorant was on the tern raft this morning, then these two came into view sorry about the quality only had the compact with me.

After looking at my collins best guess Goosander??

MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

Just got back myself - possibly passed you? I saw the same pair of birds and took my field notes, then referred back to my RSPB book and they were definitely Goosander 1m/1f. Slight tuft at the back of the head on the F, largish birds, pointed bill end.

Also saw nuthatch, reed warbler, cormorant, then usual moorhen, coot, gull, mallard, swan, robin, magpie, b/g/c tits, blackbird, woodpigeon, geese.

Quite busy and the weather was decent too :D
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

MarkF wrote:Just got back myself - possibly passed you? I saw the same pair of birds and took my field notes, then referred back to my RSPB book and they were definitely Goosander 1m/1f. Slight tuft at the back of the head on the F, largish birds, pointed bill end.

Also saw nuthatch, reed bunting, cormorant, then usual moorhen, coot, gull, mallard, swan, robin, magpie, b/g/c tits, blackbird, woodpigeon, geese.

Quite busy and the weather was decent too :D
EDITED - reed BUNTING not reed warbler!!
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Nice to hear from you again, Mark (and from Carol for that matter). You're quite right. They are male and female Goosander, which do drop in occasionally, but don't often stop for long.

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”