mawdesley moss .

gary lilley
Avocet

mawdesley moss .

Post by gary lilley »

Covered a good part of the moss this morning with woodpigeon being the main talking point i estimate around 3000 birds seen with one stubble field holding over 1000 birds and most of the woods holding plenty and flocks passing over as well ,it was one of these flocks which i picked up on which appeared to be in a panic , they had good reason to be as a peregrine was above them and about to go in a dive ( very high up ) as the peregrine went into its stoop the pigeon just scattered also from a great hight (2/300 birds) the noise of the pigeons wings was surprisingly loud , i watched as the pergrine went through the flock but amazingly did not take one of the birds, it has to be one of the best moments ive had watching peregrines :D , other birds , barn owl roosting , 1 buzzard , 2 kestrel , 70 pinkfoot , 20 fieldfare , 3 song thrush , 60 linnet , 20 chaffinch , at least 2 brambling , 5 corn bunting , 6 skylark , 4 goldfinch , 6 red legged partridge , 12 mallard , 2 teal and 1 heron flushed off one pond .

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”