Croston Moss / Finney 2.12.12

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Croston Moss / Finney 2.12.12

Post by Neil Southworth »

Magical morning on the moss. Bright, crisp and still, but with no low sun to hamper observation. Thousands of birds around, even if most of them were Woodpigeons! They were generally in the hedges and fields by the railway, but every now and again they would all take off and fly around, providing a sight every bit as spectacular as a flock of Knot at the coast or a pre-roost Starling flock. The reason for these eruptions inevitably turned out to be a marauding Peregrine, which had the same effect on a finch flock, which must have been five hundred strong. A footpath full of finches finally turned up a couple of cracking male Bramblings in amongst the Chaffinches, Linnet, Greenfinches and Goldfinches. Elsewhere, a leafless tree which was adorned with Yellowhammers, Chaffinches, Robins and Reed Buntings would have made any Christmas Tree look dowdy! Two or three Brown Rats were still around the feeding station, but I understand that around 20 have been shot recently. Full sightings:-

Whooper Swan 8, Grey Heron 2, LBB Gull, Lapwing 2, Kestrel 3, Buzzard 3, Peregrine, Pheasant, Woodpigeon 2000+, Collared Dove, GS Pecker, Skylark, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare, Redwing, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Willow Tit, LT Tit, Jay, Magpie, Crow, Rook, Jackdaw 200+, Starling, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow 20+, Chaffinch 100+, Brambling 3, Greenfinch 10+, Goldfinch 10+, Linnet 200+, Bullfinch 2, Yellowhammer 20+, Reed Bunting 20+, Corn Bunting (one singing).
Brown Rat 3
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Neil,

Obviously one for Memory Lane.

Chris.
gary lilley
Avocet

Bramblings.

Post by gary lilley »

Where abouts were the bramblings you spotted Neil ?
Regards Gary.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

On Croston Finney, along the track from the feeding station, near the pylon and start of the double hedge. They were on the track with Chaffinches, Greenfinches and Linnets, then flew to the double hedge as I walked past.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I also paid a visit to Croston Moss this morning (and met Neil as I was packing my camera away). Unfortuntely I did not go the same way as Neil, so I missed the Brambling :cry: .
Birds seen different to Neil were 3 Red Legged Partridge (in the stubble field off Drinkwater Lane) and 2 Siskin.

Image Red Legged Partridge

Image One of the flocks of Woodpigeon

Image Willow Tit

Image Whooper Swans

And as its nearly Christmas...........

Image ........A Robin
gary lilley
Avocet

Bramblings.

Post by gary lilley »

The bramblings i spotted were between the small wood with pine trees and the wind turbines on the mawdesley side.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

That's a great shot of Willow Tit, Len.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Thanks Neil.

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”