2 small hedgehogs

Joan Waidson
Buzzard

2 small hedgehogs

Post by Joan Waidson »

2 really quite small hedgehogs have been frequenting my garden for the past three or four nights polishing up any bird food left out as well as the cat (hedgehog??) biscuits I have been leaving out. Does anyone know: should I be concerned at their small size? Will they be big enough to survive the winter? I am tempted to keep putting food out for them but don't want to artificially delay the beginning their hibernation.
Also last night there were two fully grown hedgehogs who were having a bit of a 'grunt off'.The bigger of the two barged the smaller out of the way and stood possessively on the food. Not to be deterred however the smaller one soon returned to feed. They made quite a racket too.
Liz Whitehead
Robin

Post by Liz Whitehead »

If you still need advice, contact Lancashire Hedgehog Care, 01253 899404, you can also follow their good work on facebook. Hedgehogs need to be a certain weight to survive the winter, Liz
Joan Waidson
Buzzard

Post by Joan Waidson »

Thanks Liz, we have had our hedgehogs checked out and though they are small they are healthy and should make it. They will start to hibernate soon apparently, so we'll keep putting food out until they go bobo's

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”