Withnell Fold 20.10.12

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Withnell Fold 20.10.12

Post by Neil Southworth »

It was a good call to visit the flashes this morning as a pair of Wigeon with the Teal gave me a year tick. :D Total up to 124. It's amazing how a bird, which occurs on the coast in thousands, is a relatively rarity here. Not only was it a tick for me, it was also a tick for the area, bringing the year's total up to 147.
Another surprise was a family party of 2 adult and 3 juvenile Mute Swans which landed on the top flash. Teal numbers have built up to around 50, and there were also plenty of Canada Geese and Mallard, so there was quite a lot of activity. I also got to within 5 feet of a Heron on the canal tow path and thought it was going to let me walk past it, but it then just flew around me and landed back on the path. Full sightings:-
Mute Swan 5, Canada Geese 55, Mallard c40, Teal 44, Wigeon 2, Cormorant, grey Heron, Pheasant 3, Buzzard, Woodpigeon, Skylark 2, Meadow Pipit 2, Grey Wagtail, Robin, Wren, Blackbird, Blue, Great and 2 flocks LT Tit, Treecreeper, Jay 4, Magpie, Rook/Crow/Jackdaw c100, Starling 58, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Siskin 4
and on the nature reserve:- Moorhen, Kingfisher, Sparrowhawk, Nuthatch, Greenfinch
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Neil,

Well done to you too.

Gary would have liked your Wigeon.

Chris
gary lilley
Avocet

wigeon.

Post by gary lilley »

Great sighting Neil , ive been hoping a wigeon would turn up on the mosses , was the male bird in full plumage Neil?.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Yes it was, Gary. In fact all the Teal and Mallard are also now in breeding plumage which is a relief after months of eclipse!

Return to “2012 Recent Sightings Submissions”