Withnell Fold 27.12.11

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Withnell Fold 27.12.11

Post by Neil Southworth »

Fairly quiet around the flashes with the main interest being c30 Teal on a regular pond, c20 Fieldfare feeding with around 200 Starling and a couple of Buzzards, both perched on farm gates, but at opposite ends of the flashes. Also in the area was a flock of around 50 Woodpigeon and a flock of at least 100 Jackdaws. A Kingfisher was heard on the reserve, and plenty of Nuthatch were calling. A Mistle Thrush and two Song Thrush were in the same tree by the canal.
A Grey Squirrel in the reserve was making a racket for quite a long time.
warby
Grey Wagtail

Post by warby »

I had a walk up there today with the dog and they were shooting next to the canal as there were two guys with dogs on the the canal looking for a injured duck what one of the shooting party had shot, they sent there dogs across the canal looking for it, never found it so they left it injured somewhere round there, as i got back down the top lock end as it was getting dark i heard 2 buzzards calling, near were they'd been shooting earlier, last week spotted 2 owls near each other in the tree's also on the path at the bottom of whins lane where the old blackburn rd collapsed years ago as it was getting dark, and not that much further on round the corner same time was a small owl perched in a tree could'nt make any of them out as it was getting dark.
Ian Smith
Grey Wagtail

Post by Ian Smith »

the duck was later found.

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”