Winter Funghi

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Winter Funghi

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I spotted the below funghi on a tree in Chorley Cemetery today. It looks and feels like Oyster Mushrooms. I only had my mobile phone - can anyone confirm the ID please.

A merry Christmas and a happy New Year to everyone at Chorley Natural History Society 8)
Last edited by Leonard Poxon on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Cameron
Goldfinch

Post by Ian Cameron »

I think you are spot on Len - looks like Oyster to me too.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Thanks Ian, another picture below of same group, taken today, they seem to have darkened somewhat.

Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Oyster Mushroom

Post by Joyce Riley »

Just catching up with postings after being away for Christmas. I agree that it is a type of Oyster Mushroom but from your photos, especially the first, the bark doesn't look like a Beech tree, the usual host of Pleurotus ostreatus, so it could be Pleurotus cornucopiae. Did you note the tree species? If you give me some indication of the part of the cemetary where you found it I will try to go to look as I live nearby.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Joyce,

You are correct it is not a beech tree, it looks like a type of Acer possibly Acer Planatoides, but I am not certain. It is close to the location of the White Saddle that I directed you to last year (about 15ft away!). It is on the side of the tree that faces you as you walk down the road just beyond where the large waste skip is in the bottom right hand part of the cemetery.
I have attached below some pictures I took of the tree flowering on 03.04.11, they may help in its identification.

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”