Croston/mawdesley moss 8/9.00am RINGTAIL!

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss 8/9.00am RINGTAIL!

Post by gary lilley »

Female hen harrier hunting the double hawthorn hedge first thing this morning also huge amounts of geese feeding on the stubble near the railway line ,there was around 1000 birds with lots of small flocks knocking about, i used the railway gateway as a makeshift hide and got some great views (no white fronts in view) also 1 kestrel , 1 cormorant , heard a bullfinch ,2 song thrush , 1 gs pecker , 10+ tree sparrow at the feeding station, its around 12 months ive been watching the area and i can honestly say i never walked off disapointed yet here is a list of some of the highlights:-Marsh harrier , male/fem hen harrier, peregrine, hobby , merlin , barn ,little and tawny owl, yellow wagtail , winchat , stonechat,wheatear , corn bunting, 3 calling quail , several coveys of grey partridge, golden plover and poss dotterel plus many more , a truly great place to birdwatch!
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Thats quite a list you're building up there Gary, there's nothing better than finding scarce birds on your local patch, I'm sure you'll find a rarity there one day.
I havn't been out locally for a while just the odd visit to Martin Mere and Marshside though I did see c100 Pinkfeet this morning in the area of. Docters Lane.
John Edwards
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Gary,

I tried for the harrier after the Birdwatching Festival early afternoon without any luck.

When did these things go up ?

Chris
gary lilley
Avocet

wind turbines.

Post by gary lilley »

The wind turbines have been up at least a week or so and there is at least another one to be erected :( .
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

I first saw them from the top of the hill here in Whittle. I didn't realise they were on the Moss.

Chris.
David Holland
Woodpecker

Where?

Post by David Holland »

Am envious reading of all the superb bird postings from Croston area but live in Whittle and don;t know that side of Chorley. Would you/anyone give me a landmark and/or a OS grid ref of some good places to start off. Many thanks....David
David
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

David,

I presume you have OS 108. You can park at Great Hanging Bridge 466179 or at the back of Croston around 482179 and walk across the farm tracks.

Neil or Gary can give you more information.

Dave Barker can probably post a link to Google Maps.

Maybe we should go together one morning.

Chris
David Holland
Woodpecker

Post by David Holland »

Thanks for the info Chris, that's good of you. I will use the your pointers when I get a chance to visit and see how I go, and ask Neil or Gary for further if needed.

Be good to hook up but work and family commitments don't leave me much time at present, but will be in touch if I can as I believe that you too are also in Whittle?

Thanks again.
David
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

David,

It's our intention to have a field trip to Mawdesley Moss in early January. If you're interested, keep an eye on the forum for details.

Neil
David Holland
Woodpecker

Post by David Holland »

Will do Neil, thanks.
David

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”