Yarrow Valley Park 23.11.11

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Yarrow Valley Park 23.11.11

Post by Neil Southworth »

Eddie Langrish reports that he called at the Visitor centre today, where someone had handed in two half full Niger seed feeders and a mat with several sticks coated in a sticky substance, which had been hanging next to the Niger seed feeders at the bird feeding station. He had found a Robin trapped on this mat which he had managed to release.

The worry we always had with the feeding station was that it would be vandalised. We never dreamed that bird trappers would use the feeding station for their evil pastime. Needless to say keep your eyes open whenever you pass the feeding station for any similar misdeeds.
Dave
Raven

Post by Dave »

Thats awful news Neil, agree everyone should keep their eyes open
Visit Our Website [url=http://"http://www.holidays-revealed.com/"]Clicky Linky[/url] Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Evidently, the bird trapping device wasn't at the bird feeding station, but elsewhere in the park.

In future, if anyone finds a similar device would they please leave it insitu, but report it immediately to the Rangers. Removing it effectively destroys evidence of the crime.
Bryan Thomas
Goldeneye

Post by Bryan Thomas »

Cormorant on the Tern raft at 12:30 today.
Ian & Dianne Barnett
Woodpecker

Post by Ian & Dianne Barnett »

What is the motive in trapping birds?
Ian & Dianne
Eddie Langrish
Goldeneye

Post by Eddie Langrish »

I didn't find the bird trap, an other chap found it and took it to the visitors centre, I was told it was found just near the bird feeding station, I was also told the gentleman, rang the police on his mobile whilst at the location, but they were not interested.
The motive for trapping birds is the high price paid by this evil market place.
Niger seed evident, could mean they were after Gold Finches
Ian & Dianne Barnett
Woodpecker

Post by Ian & Dianne Barnett »

Thanks Eddie, I must lead a sheltered life... didn't realise this was happening...

isn't it aweful... the sad thing is I have up to 8 goldfinch of my own... they come into my garden on a regular basis... and then go as they please... they keep coming back and we can enjoy them daily.,, and I didn't need to trap them... just feed them...

Will keep our eyes open.
Ian & Dianne
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

YVP Bird trapping

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

The Police should log the incident - the man to contact is Mark Thomas at Hutton - he is the Lancashire Police Wildlife office - he is a civillian but it he liaises with all areas of Lancs Police as appropriate - phone on 0845 1253545, Lancs Police need an overview of ALL wildlife crime
Brian

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”