Croston/mawdesley moss .

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by gary lilley »

First bird of the morning was a juv mute swan in the middle of a stubble field , my first thought was that it was injured as it was directly under the electric cables but as i approached it the bird flew off towards the douglas :D , tree sparrows 10+ were taking advantage of the free food at the cottage next to the railway line were there was also a gspecker and a few chaffinches, no snipe or partridge on the wet stubble fields , 2 small flocks of pinkfoot (20), 1 juv buzzard still making plenty of noise, 3 kestrel , i disturbed a female sparrowhawk from its kill the small bird had every single feather plucked from its body , the head ,feet and wings were all missing it looked like the bird had been prepared by a butcher and was ready for the oven , not long after i,m pretty sure i spotted a female merlin flying several fields away from me, a single lapwing was on a field which is used for growing turf , spotted 2 tit flocks ( lt,b,g , treecreeper and goldcrest) , small flocks of greenfinch, linnet , goldfinch and tree sparrow , 1 heron , 2 gadwall( 2 male 1 fem) 20 skylark , several small flocks of fieldfare , 100+ w/pigeon , several pheasant , small numbers of yellowhammer one of which was singing, few small flocks of starling, 1 red admiral , pretty sure i got a glimpse of a stoat .
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Gary,

We all know what it's like when we get a glimpse of something. Blink and it's gone. Was it just our imagination ?

Chris.

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”