Watermans Cottage.(Tern)

Richard P Todd
Buzzard

Watermans Cottage.(Tern)

Post by Richard P Todd »

Hi, Whilst fishing today seen from opposite bank from me. Im not sure which kind it was but was quite small, it headed off towards White Coppice.

Rich

Also seen a Sparrowhawk on Upper Rivington.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Rich,

Can you put any sort of description to it? Did it plunge dive at all?

It's a very late date for a tern, and most probable is a Black Tern, or just possibly an Arctic Tern blown in by the storms.

Neil
Richard P Todd
Buzzard

Post by Richard P Todd »

Neil,

It did not dive, just flew around 20ft in the air slight side to side action then over dam wall towards White Coppice.

Rich.
Richard P Todd
Buzzard

Post by Richard P Todd »

Ive just googled Black Tern, not one of them it was PURE White. It was on far bank to me so a good distance didnt see any black head though.??

Ta.
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

Hi Richard/Neil, just a brief thought, I remember in the 1970s on a duck count, possibly October I think, we had a Little Gull on Yarrow, we thought it a tern at first in the way it flew. Apparently in strong westerly winds the birds moving into the south Irish sea, an autumn/wintering ground, can get blown inland, any records from other areas?
Brian
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Brian,

I must admit Little Gull had occurred to me, but I don't know of any other records in the region. There were, however, a few records of Arctic Tern along the coast on the same day, so one could have been blown in with a shower.

I guess we'll never know.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Interestingly, a juvenile tern has been at Pennington Flash since Wednesday. The jury's still out as to whether it's Common or Arctic.

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”